Friday, January 15, 2010

Equations of Fluid Flow

Recently, as I have been searching the libraries for good introductory references on the phenomena of superconductivity and superfluidity, I stumbled upon a book called Superfluid Hydrodynamics by S.J. Putterman.

I really liked the style and tone of the author since everything was written in a very clear, pedagogical way. Much to my delight, the last chapter deals with superconductivity, and the parallels and differences between the two "super" phenomena.

The book begins with a review of reversible fluid flow in normal fluids. The second chapter introduces viscosity. I really liked the way it was presented, so I have written out a summary, listing all the main concepts and equations. You can download the pdf file.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Raghu,

I am a 9th Standard guy in Visakhapatnam,have an ambition of doing my undergrad at IIT Bombay in the Computer Science and am a wannabe computer geek. I just wanted to ask you a question related to science.


When you are creating Science applications what programming language do you use to create such applications?

Raghu said...

If you mean a document like the pdf that I wrote for this post, I used LaTeX to write it.

Unknown said...

No Raghu,Physical Phenomena can be mathematically modelled,right? and AFAIK Mathematical models can be simulated on a computer.

To create a simulation,you need to create a computer program that can do it and to create a computer program you need a programming language.

So my question is,What programming languages do you theoretical science guys generally use to create such simulations?

Raghu said...

Matlab with Simulink. Mathematica. Maple. Octave. Fortran, C, etc.