Monday, January 25, 2010

AdS/CFT

I have been working on a project involving AdS/CFT correspondence. Finally, after 8 months of work, I have been able to convince myself that I now have fair understanding of this concept. The main problem was, as usual, finding good pedagogical references. The field is only about 12 years old, so it is not covered in any standard textbooks on either string theory or condensed matter (atleast as far as I know - if you know a book that has a good discussion of it, please let me know).

Just for the record, I am putting here three good references that have helped me learn the subject:

1) Sean Hartnoll. Lectures on holographic methods for condensed matter physics. http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.3246

2) John McGreevy. Holographic duality with a view toward many-body physics. http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.0518

3) Chris Herzog. Lectures on Holographic Superfluidity and Superconductivity. http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1975

2 comments:

Gaurav said...

plz clear one of my doubt regarding nuclear force...its a established fact that bond length is d min. distance for two atoms to stay close.....its also d position of minimum potential energy....and if we move d atom at a distance less than the bond distance repulsive force dominates....but here am facing trouble....i have read that nuclear force is very strong as compared to coloumbic force .....so if i reduce d distance then nuclear force should comes into play and instead of repulsive nature...it should attract.... i know its a foolish idea to say this as we know that if such thing were to happen then no atom would ever be stable.... but my question is what force prevents the atoms to come closer than their bond distance.....plz ans. my query...i searched a lot but din't find any ans. to it........

Ali Shehper said...

I want to study Ads/Cft. Can you tell what topics should I study before I study this topic? I have studied one two courses in Quantum mechanics and one course in General Relativity already.